Followers

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Purple Infusion

Hello folks. We have another challenge at One Stitch At A Time so how about popping over to see all the fabulous creations by the design team.

Challenge #180

Theme ' Use A Digi'  


The sponsor this week is StitchyBear Digi Outlet with a prize of the full set of digi images that the DT used in challenge #178 - WOW that's worth around $20. To win this prize you must used an item from the StitchyBear Outlet. You may still enter using any digi but the prize for winning will be $3 to spend in the outlet.

It was my teamie Ali's turn to chose a digi for Tammylee and me to work with and she chose Aubrietia Digital Stamp and Paper Pack Pack by Coosty Creations.  The pack comes with one digital stamp and four complementing digi papers.  I decided not to use the papers on the front of the card as I had another idea but did use one for the insert.  As with everything, it is not always the case of using everything at hand - sometimes I find, less is more <g>.

To begin with I created a cut out design which I cut on my Black Cat using purple card.  Originally I was using one of the digi papers behind the cut out but there was just to much going on, so as I mentioned earlier opted for not using it.  Instead I used mauve pearlized card which I had at hand.  Now with no texture and two plain colours, all be it one cut out the card looked flat.  What next - should I emboss?  And then a creative moment arose lol.  I remembered trying sometime in the past, to use bleach to rubber stamp with to remove the dye from the paper leaving the bleached outline.  I never managed to achieve this as I guess the only bleach I could find in Saudi was not the super thick strong kind.  Off I went to the kitchen to see what I had under the kitchen sink which I could put in a spray bottle.  I have Clorox so tried that - I was aiming for a speckled look on the card so spraying was the obvious choice.  Clorox did not work then I remembered there was a big bottle of some sort of bleach in the cupboard - try that.  I poured some into the spray bottle and began misting the card.  Odd smell - this was not bleach but natural vinegar (which I use with bi-carb for cleaning).  To my amazement it worked a treat although the card did not smell very nice for a while - it was almost good enough to wrap fish and chips in.  Oh how I am sure all my British pals will remember how good fish and chips were when they were wrapped in newspaper, so much better than these dreadful polystyrene boxes used now!!!!  Back to my card.  I was really pleased with the outcome so back to the craft room to carry on.  Still having the urge to continue spraying I raked out Blue Shimmer Misting Spray - now that could really work and give the contrast needed to bring this new piece of card to life.  So there you have it, new card made for my cut out design.  One thing hubby has mentioned here - acetic acid may eat the card away in time so to neutralize it spray afterwards with bi-carb or baking powder to stop the reaction. I then cut the digi three times and decoupaged it, finishing off with bisque Liquid Pearls for the flower centres.  I used Spellbinders scalloped circles, the smallest die, to cut the sentiment backing and used the bisque liquid pearls there too.  Both these sections we attached to the card with foam tape, the cut out layer was also attached with foam tape. Purple gems were added to selected areas of the cut out design and the finishing touches of a heart gem and bow were put in place.  Hope you like what I came up with, certainly had fun with this one <g>.



Inside view of card which also shows all the layering
Ingredients:-
I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:-

14 comments:

  1. Stunning, stunning, stunning. Oh how I loved your adventures into creating your special card - well they do say that 'necessity is the mother of invention' and your necessity certainly led you to 'invent' a 'new' card making technique. All your spraying works beautifully and the lovely Aubrittia digi stands out so well with that delicate die cut background .... All your sweat and tears were well worth the efforts you went to to create this gorgeous card and I'll never be able to eat fish'n'chips again without thinking of you and your spray bottles from now on :-) Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Jane. I love the story too! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love how you've coloured - so beautiful, and your background is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is absolutely Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous card and a lovely story. It's great when you try something new and you have that 'Eureka' moment. Big hugs, Jennie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely & elegant, inside & out!

    Hugs,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card Jane......so lovely anyone would treasure it!

    Shell~ Your OSAAT Team Mate
    http://akstamping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the brilliantly coloured image all the spraying has worked a treat-love all the cut out design and the colour of the liquid pearls
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, your card is stunning. Love the colors you went with.

    TTFN,

    CraftyGirl
    Your Sister OSAAT DT
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting read and great result :)Thank-you for joining us at the Scrappers Delights Challenge Paper Piecing. Denyse X

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful thanks for sharing over at LOC
    www.creativecardcraft.blogspot.com
    www.punkyougirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful, thank you for joining in with out challenge at Scrappers Delights Challenge blog.

    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This card is a real beauty, love how you composed all the elements together. I would like to thank you for entering my 'C... is for challenge' blog and I wish you good luck in the draw.
    Hugs,
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely effect you have achieved here. Fabulous colours too. Thanks for joining in with our Pearls and Swirls challenge at OLL this time.
    hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi