Followers

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Fun with Packaging

 International Art & Soul, a challenge which has been put together to incorporate any type of craft, paper, wood, flowers, recycling, glass - the world is your oyster :).  Come on over an join us with you artwork :)

Challenge #75
Recycling


This fortnights challenge Monochromatic has been chosen by Sall.  I often wonder what to do  for recycling projects, add something to a card, use throw away items like plastics for texture painting etc. but never really think of using packaging to make a new item.  I love Conference pears and have been buying the ones from Morrisons which have been so juicy.  When I saw this challenge theme I just had to use the awesome recycled cardboard packaging the pears come in - nothing like double recycling lol.  I just loved the shape and in my mind could see this being turned into a dish to hold bits and bobs.  Saying as I had 2 packs of pears I had to make 2 dishes lol.



This project took a bit more patience than I was expecting, I am not very good at doing something over several days hahaha.  To begin with I used several layers of PVA glue on all sides of the cardboard trays over several days, making sure each layer was totally dry before adding the next.  This was mainly to make the trays stronger and more durable.  Next was a couple of coats of Gesso so I had a good white base to work on.  I did take pictures of both these stages but must have been having a couple of senior moments as they are not on my phone or camera memory card grrrr. Next I covered each tray with a solid background blue for one and green for the other.  Stippling with different colours came next then the addition of mica powder dabbed onto the damp areas to add a bit of sparkle.  For the blue dish I added mica gold flakes with a dob of PVA glue and for the green tray I used metal gilding flakes.  To finish off I used Windsor and Newton glossy glazing medium, so impressed with this, just one coat sealed beautifully and left a high gloss finish without disturbing the acrylic paint below.  The blue/mauve tray is going to be used in the spare bedroom for guests, hand tray to place jewellery etc. on at night and the green tray is for my daughters study for her bits and bobs :)


Challenges entered : -

2 comments:

  1. A lovely idea and both trays look super and will do perfectly for little items. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! Those pears look delicious! I always feel so guilty about throwing away the packaging !

    Hugs,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi