Followers

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Steampunk Mermaid

Hello folks.  We have another challenge at One Stitch At A Time so how about popping over to see all the fabulous creations by the design team.

Challenge #215

Theme 'Button It' 

The sponsor is StitchyBear Digital Outlet with a 7 image June prize pack. To win main prize you MUST use an Image from our store. Runner up prize for person using none store image is $3 to spend in the StitchyBear Digital Outlet. So everyone can win something :)

This week I am working with the wonderful Delicious Doodles image Steampunk Mermaid available from the StitchyBear Digital Outlet.  I found in our local shop the other day these rather cool spiral bound index card booklets, the cards inside are all lined and have perforated edges at the top, perfect for writing notes on and then tearing out when done and dusted or to pass onto a friend if you have written something on it for them. Yep, I do like these hahahaha
To begin with I used a photo of a sunset I took in Australia, on the West Coast up near Carnarvon, Western Australia a couple of years ago.  The uncoloured image was super imposed onto the photo and a quote added "It is impossible to watch a sunset and not dream' by Tattboy, then I printed.  Next I coloured the image with Promarkers.
Promarkers used
With that done I took apart the spiral bound book.
Then I place my image on the front cover and remade the holes ready to assemble later.  During a tag swap I was playing along with earlier this week named 'Use a New Technique' I decided to play with texture paste.  Now paste is not available in Saudi so I had to make my own.  After a bit of hunting on the net  I found what looked like a simple recipe on Gabrielle Pollacco site Such a Pretty Mess.  I knew I had white acrylic paint and PVA glue and assumed I had baking soda so this would work for me to try.  Alas I didn't have any baking soda so explored my cupboard and found cornflower instead - it seems to have worked fine :) :) :)   Once mixed I spread the texture paste on the water area of the photo.
 While that was drying I made some copper buttons using copper metal sheet and a die from the Sewing Set by X-Cut.
With the texture paste now dry I airbrushed with Promarkers - I love the way this has really captured the motion of water and waves.  The copper buttons along with another metal button I had in my box with the word - Any Time Any Where written on it were placed in the bottom right corner.
Now to decorate my mini pencil.  I used a shell bead, fishing line and other beads to make the charm and attached this to the pencil with strong adhesive and some copper sheet.  The pencil was coloured with Promarkers and then finished off with Gold Extreme Glitter.
 And here we have the finished project.
 This one shows how the pencil is held in place within the spiral area, a nice snug fit.


Ingredients:-
  • digi -  Steampunk Mermaid by Delicious Doodles and available in the Stitchy Bear Digital Outlet.
  • Sewing Kit X-Cut die
  • Homemade texture paste
  • Book, buttons, pencil, charm, beads etc. from my stash
I am entering the following challenges

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful creation.
    Thanks for joining us at Card and Scrap.
    Gitte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an enchanting make! LOVE those copper buttons and the colouring is fab!
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful make with us at SASPC!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful creation.
    Tak for at du er med på udfordringen hos os i Card and scrap.
    DT Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing !! Mermaid and the sea is so beautifully done :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mermaid is so lovely, beautiful creation !
    thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges
    Coutureuse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Wow! and Wow! again! This is just fabulous. Love what you did with the paste - so creative. Maggie - DT Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love it!!! What a talet you have :)
    Thank you for joining the challenge at card and scrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely notebook cover. I applaud your creative process. Thank you for joining us at ABC CHALLENGE! Good luck an I hope we see more of your lovely work in our next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. original work. very nice. Thanks for sharing in craft and smash

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Creation love the image and your coloring and all the Details.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
    Hugs Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful and I love that sentiment! The shades of orange in the sunset are stunning. So muted yet so vibrant.
    Thank you so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner this time.
    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  12. wooow, so cool!! I love this page! thank you for your participation in the challenge Craft & Smash :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi